Can I file bankruptcy and discharge my taxes without entering into an Offer in Compromise?

Generally personal income taxes that are over three years old, and were assessed at least 240 days prior to bankruptcy filing, and voluntarily filed at least two years ago, can be included in a bankruptcy. However, most taxes aren’t dischargeable. The trust fund portion of employment taxes is not dischargeable in bankruptcy; therefore, an Offer in Compromise is the only way to effectively eliminate the burden of the trust fund portion of employment taxes.

Posted in: FAQ