I filed my tax returns but didn’t have the money to pay what was owed. What do I do now?

When the Internal Revenue Service sends you a notice stating that you owe back taxes, the amount is usually much higher than what you thought because they have tacked on penalties and interest. Of course you could just write a check and pay them the full amount, including penalties and interest. Worse you could just ignore them; meanwhile the penalties and interest keep piling up. Or you could hire my firm, as an Enrolled Agent who is experienced in the matters of back taxes. By analyzing your situation, we can determine your best course of action. For many taxpayers with no ability to pay, this typically leads to an Offer in Compromise.

Posted in: FAQ